Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week 5 Photo Challenge: In the Director's Chair

     It was around midnight on Tuesday when I started this project.  I got caught up with the whole valentine thing with my wife, so I had to started it later then I wanted to.  I constructed this by first setting up my camera angle.  I had to be sure of showing the director along with the camera operator and the actors.  After I established my angle I setup up the left side of the green screen and the lighting.  I then took my first shoot without me in it to create half of my background.  Without moving my camera, I jumped into the director's chair and set my pose as if I was shouting out "ACTION!".  My next shot was the camera operator.  I set my camera to be on a ten second timer.  It took me one take.  After I got the director and cam operator out of the way, I had to set up the right side of the room.  I moved my green screen over on the other side which was held up by a C-Stand and a Baby Stand.  When moving your set, I knew not to move my lighting or else things won't match up.  I took a few takes on my action shots.  I wanted to make sure the ball was in the air and I had to look like I was going to catch the ball.  I decided to use my Redskins clothing to create continuity and for an appealing shot.  I then brought all images into photoshop and setup my layers.  I started first with my background then the actors, cam op, and at last the director.  I cut everything out using "Masking".  As I was using the same technique to cut-out the Director, I thought to myself that their must be an easier way.  I googled "how to cutout background Photoshop".  I found a video tutorial on youtube using the "erase background" which is found under the erase tool.  I didn't fully understand how to use the erase background tool.  I kept on trying and trying and couldn't figure it out.  I then crossed my legs under my desk and my foot hit the head plug, my entire computer shut down.  Luckly, I had saved my project and only had to re-due one part.  I ended up learning how to use the tool, it is quit easy.  It ended up saving me a lot of time.  I recommend learning it.  I finished up around 3 in the morning.  I knew I had to wake up at 7 so I decided to write this first thing in the morning in-class.